Some of our recent shout out winners enjoyed a lovely luncheon with Brooke at Cafe Centro.
Archive of ‘Recognition’ category
November Shout Out Winner
A special shout out goes to Eleanor Carter, Director of Benefits for tirelessly working on getting our new benefits package and converting to the new insurance carrier. Additionally she had an expert on Social Security come in to educate associates eligible for Medicare on making the right decision on what is the best option for them. She is always looking out for the associates best interests. Thank you Eleanor for all you do for us!
A special Shout Out to Ryan Callahan for his leadership and assistance in putting together all the corporate budgets for 2019. Ryan patiently explained all the nuances of allocations and kept a tight control on payroll and operating expenses with all departments. Ryan’s professionalism, patience and positive attitude sets the standard for how we do business at Denihan. Thank you Ryan!
Crain’s New York Business Recognizes Denihan Hospitality as an Entrepreneurial, Family-Owned Business
Company Receives 2018 Family Business Award for Historical Importance in New York
Denihan Hospitality a premier owner and operator of upscale luxury, boutique and lifestyle hotels, is excited to announce that its over 55-year-legacy as a family-owned and operated business, was recognized by Crain’s New York Business. The esteemed news organization selected the Company as one of its inaugural Family Business Award Honorees at a private celebration on June 29, 2018.
“We are honored to be recognized as one of New York City’s most entrepreneurial families by Crain’s, an institution that epitomizes New York business,” said Brooke Denihan Barrett, Co-Chief Executive Officer of Denihan Hospitality, who accepted the award on behalf of the Company. “Denihan Hospitality, which has a very established legacy in the New York area, continues to acknowledge the importance of family and tradition with relation to our success. My brother Patrick and I have strategically designed opportunities for our brand to continue – as a family-owned business – well into the future.”
Crain’s, along with platinum sponsor Optimum Business by Altice USA and silver sponsor Anchin, Block & Anchin LLP, presented the inaugural Family Business Awards to honor trailblazing family-owned companies in the New York Metropolitan area that have paved the way for success in their respective industries. The chosen companies also demonstrated the ability to overcome familial challenges and changing market dynamics, while also displaying a strong record of philanthropic and support for local charities and organizations.
As Denihan’s ownership and management of The James Chicago comes to an end and a new chapter starts with a licensing agreement, we want to thank all of our Chicago team members for their years of service with the company.
In the ten years Denihan has owned The James Chicago, it has received many accolades – from being named Best Steakhouse in Chicago to being included in Travel & Leisure’s Top Hotels in the US. In addition, the hotel has consistently achieved the highest guest satisfaction scores in the company and most importantly been voted one of the 101 best places to work in Chicago for 10 years in a row!
All of this would not have been possible without the dedication and commitment to excellent service from the wonderful team at The James Chicago. We are very appreciative of all you have done and proud of all the accomplishments.
The James Chicago team did a “thank you” and Recognition celebration on Wednesday to commemorate good times over the years as they entered the last week of being a Denihan property.
Full Time Concierge
Joseph Colon – Gardens NYC
Gina Bianco – The Benjamin
Full Time Door Person
Michael Sicinski – Gardens NYC
Rome Jefferson – Fifty NYC
Greg Rieke – Surrey Hotel
Miguel Ureta – The James New York – NoMad
Jimmy Healy – The James New York – Soho
Angelo Roa – The Benjamin
Full Time Hourly with Guest Contact
Frank Boateng – Gardens NYC
Kristy Rosado – Fifty NYC
Michelle Manon – Shelburne NYC
Yuko Urakami – Surry Hotel
Philip Huie– The James New York – NoMad
Brian Morr – The James New York – Soho
Stephanie Arscott – The Benjamin
Full Time Hourly without Guest Contact
Henry Cabrera – Gardens NYC
Vladimir Shteynberg – Fifty NYC
Yevsey Katsnelson – Shelburne NYC
Festus Walker– The James New York – NoMad
Brian Stanton – The James New York – Soho
Abu Shardow – The Benjamin
Full Time Room Attendant
Teresa Kardaszewska – Gardens NYC
Khamawattie Prashad – Fifty NYC
Visa Nitu – Shelburne NYC
Rosa Corona – Surrey Hotel
Mireille Joseph– The James New York – NoMad
Celia Garcia – The James New York – Soho
Martha Felipe – The Benjamin
Managerial below GM
Elvira Kim – Gardens NYC
Angela Castro – Fifty NYC
Didier Ambroise – Shelburne NYC
Emmanuel Asa-Ntow – The James New York – NoMad
Elmo Wells – – The James New York – Soho
Slavka Kmec – The Benjamin
We would like to give a big Shout out to Muhamad Ahmad, Director of Facilities, and Ryszard Knutelski (Richie), Facilities and Services Coordinator.
Both Muhamad and Ryszard have tirelessly been working on the move from the 9th to the 10th floor. On top of their day job, they have been building spaces, moving boxes and helping with purging all while causing minimal disruption to the rest of us!
In addition, Muhamad has been here over the past few weekends to oversee the contractors and to make sure everything is moving forward.
Thank you for your hard work. We can’t wait to see the finished product!
(Muhamad Ahmad and Mary Di Preta) (Ryszard Knutelski)
The Fifty team celebrated National Customer Service Week with the front of the house team this week. Our Guest Service Agents, Front Desk Managers, Bell, and Security team had a chance to enjoy yummy breakfasts treats, relaxing massages and a lunch at a nearby restaurant.
The James New York – NoMad received high marks from Globe and Mail writer, Cliff Lee, who spent some time with us over the summer. He features the property as a place to stay in Midtown, highlighting its proximity to desirable attractions and activities as well as the “retro modern aesthetic”. You can check out his review in detail by clicking here.
July/August Shout Out Winners
Elaine Lim, Interactive Marketing and Design Manager,
Elaine coordinated the CRM efforts for all Facility Fee changes, surveys, tax tables etc. with Cendyn and helped the internal Denihan team in getting all testing completed for confirmations of the same. The process has been long and is still in progress for some items but she continues to push our vendor to get everything right ensuring a positive guest experience.
Elaine works long hours and not only does she work on her own workload but always reaches out to the marketing team to help them work on their initiatives as well. Elaine is an excellent example of a team player.
Recently she was chosen to lead the move for the marketing team and has taken that task very seriously. She has personally cleaned up some of the old marketing cubicles, kept on all team members to clean out their area and even chased me to clean out my office.
Throughout everything that Elaine does she always maintains a super positive attitude and always has a smile on her face. Elaine’s support to the marketing team is immeasurable and her dedication is an example to all of us.
Eleni Soultanoglou, VP Operations, Strategy & Innovation.
Eleni’s leadership, hard work and creativity went a long way in making a successful vision presentation in August. The locale, music, presentation deck and collateral were best in class and created the synergy and excitement needed for us to move ahead. Great job!
We would also like to recognize Allison Lew, Senior Tech. Support Analyst and Ramsey Grey, IT Manager.
Both Allison and Ramsey have stepped up and took extra on responsibilities in the last 6 months – without hesitation or reservation.
They were tasked to take on extra load, learn new technical skills and perform new duties.
- Ramsey took on managing the Anti-Virus management from Alliant. That saved us some $35,000 per year.
- Allison is carrying out the Help Desk duties performed by 3 people, just 6 months ago.
It is quite amazing to see each of their productivity output – each working on 3 computer systems at the same time, multitasking their work and helping users out with their issues.
More amazing is their positive attitude and willingness to go the extra mile for the company.
Housekeeping week was kicked off with a hearty breakfast prepared by The National. Also, the team rested and rejuvenated with chair and hand massage treatments throughout the week. Make your own sundae day was a big hit – lots of smiling faces. In addition, the team was treated to full serviced lunch with some delights specially created by Chef Rezart, the finale was a gift bag with treats and other fun things!
The James Chicago Team celebrated being named one of the “101 Best and Brightest Places to Work For” in Chicago with a party in J-Café! This was our tenth year in a row receiving this prestigious award—in order to be considered, the award committee relies on surveys completed by our entire team, so it is truly a hotel-wide accomplishment. We would like to express our gratitude to Vera and the rest of the team at Denihan for gifting us with the delicious cake and party. We are proud to be part of such an amazing team!
FIFTY NYC’s Executive Team recognized its operations management team with a nice toast and some delectable sweets! This was to express their gratitude and appreciation for the team’s hard work, dedication and commitment to the hotel on a daily basis especially during the recent Goldman Sachs check-in earlier this month. THANK YOU and cheers to Angela Castro, Bennie Brito, Carmel O’Connor, Cristina Trusu, Franz Jackson, Maxine Newby, Ruth Pino and Veronica Morales! 🙂
We would like to give a Big Shout Out to members of the Corporate Operations team, Chris Horn, Associate Director of Operations, and Chris Oltoff, Director of Operations, for their tireless efforts at ensuring the seamless transition of the Dumont, supporting the transition of WeHo, and the opening of the James NoMad while ensuring that the hotels and corporate teams get the support they need (e.g., implementing a property review agenda, managing leadership transitions, and addressing application issues). Both are dedicated to constantly remaining flexible in addressing the needs of the business, enhancing our processes and strategically moving forward. Thank you, Chris and Chris for giving your best always!
(Carl Cohen and Chris Olthoff)
Another Big Shout Out goes to Leslie Wolf, Director of Brand Management, for going above and beyond in every way to support the James brand. With Emily Shattan out on leave, Leslie stepped in to ensure that James Brand Programs were developed and completed. Leslie has done an outstanding job and has been a true team player covering all the bases while Emily is out. Thank you, Leslie, for going above and beyond.
We would also like to recognize the following corporate associates:
- Victor Infante, FIT Coordinator, for his continuous commitment to learning, growing and providing excellent customer service. Victor has worked hard to upsell and bring more revenue to Denihan. He is always helpful and responds quickly to address any issues
- Ryan Callahan, Controller, for being a pleasure to work with – he is incredibly helpful, patient and reliable, and
- Susan Sondheim, Cheryl Franz, and Phil Daily for creating training experiences for James NoMad Managers and Team Members that instills the James Culture in the hotel.
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today is the day that the Dumont NYC begins the next chapter in its history. With mixed emotions, it leaves the Denihan Collection of hotels after 31 years. The hotel was built from the ground up by the Denihan family and opened its doors in 1986 as The Dumont Plaza. It was built on the site of our aunt and uncle’s camera store – Dumont Camera – that operated as a family business in the 1940 – 1950’s.
Thirty-one years is a long period of time for one company to own or manage a hotel – longer than many of our competitors have been in business. So, it is with a heavy heart but an enormous amount of pride that we bid farewell to our Dumont NYC team.
Many of you, as well as innumerable former Dumont NYC associates, honed your Art of Hospitality skills from the ground up at this hotel. The Dumont has not only served as a valuable training ground, but over the years created a tight-knit family of people whose lives were touched by their experiences there and relationships built. Success at the Dumont NYC involved tireless teams working collaboratively to care for our guests. That is why our TripAdvisor scores have consistently remained in the top 100 and guests have commented on the friendly and can do attitude of the staff. We are both proud and humbled to consider ourselves part of this group.
Thank you to all who have served at Dumont NYC. While bittersweet, we will always have many wonderful memories.
With sincere thanks,
Brooke and Patrick
George Drepaul – 31 Years
It is with a grateful and sad heart that we bid farewell to George Drepaul. After 31 years of service with Denihan, George will be moving on to a new chapter in his life once the Dumont NYC closes. George has had the unique distinction of working at 6 of our hotels and being a GM at 4 of them in addition to serving a stint in Corporate HR.
George began his career with Denihan in April 1986 as a night auditor at a hotel we once owned and managed – Lyden House. He quickly moved on to other operational positions in the front office at that hotel and the Gardens NYC. For a period of time, he was AGM of our largest property, Manhattan NYC, where George would say he got his PhD in hotel operations! His leadership, eye for detail and bottom line focus served him well during his GM tenure at the Eastgate Tower, Lyden House, Shelburne NYC and now Dumont NYC in its final stages as a hotel.
We could always count on George to have the best interest of the company in mind. His loyalty, commitment and integrity are values this company was built on and lived by George every day. We are much appreciative and grateful to him. These values should be an inspiration to all of us. It is what has allowed us to thrive as a family business for over 50 years. It will continue to be the foundation for our success into the future.
For those of you who know George, you know that he is a private person and did not want the attention of a public farewell. We respect that but also did not want to miss the opportunity to recognize him for all he has done for us and demonstrate the impact he has had on others.
Following are a few stories that people wanted to share about George. We hope you will enjoy them.
In the meantime – thank you George from the bottom of our hearts for all you have done to make Denihan the company that it is today.
Brooke and Patrick
A FEW STORIES ABOUT GEORGE …
One of my favorite stories was when George was the Assistant GM at the Manhattan. The GM at the time, Mark Hurewitz, George, and I were discussing something. George got called out or beeped and he left the office. Mark and I were still meeting when George walked back in. He waited while we finished talking and then in his calm, normally quiet voice said, “The bank downstairs was just robbed.” Mark jumped up! George was very matter of fact in times of crisis. – Steve Alfieri
I remember a time years ago I went over to the Eastgate for a meeting and I found George in the Lobby handling an issue with the Fire Command Station. He was acting as FSD and Chief Engineer. I asked him what was going on and he nonchalantly detailed how he was correcting the issue. He had also just come from the boiler room where he had worked to get one of the boilers back up. George’s hands on style and mechanical ability is always inspiring. – Brian Gehlich
One of the things that impressed me the most about George was the way he was with numbers. It was like having a human calculator as a GM. He might forget something about where items were or someone’s birthday but if we were 2 cents over or short he knew exactly where they were! – Belfor Gutierrez
George was my HR Screener in 2001 and sent me to The Dumont and The Shelburne to interview. I started at The Dumont and thank George for bringing me into Denihan. George is a strong leader and a man with great family values. His contribution and commitment to the organization was something to be respected and admired. – Joe Rauer
I met George about 21 years ago when I started in the company. Since, I had the pleasure of working with him at the Manhattan, Shelburne, Dumont and even Human Resources when he had a brief role in Employment on 10th Avenue. I have so many memories and shared a lot of laughs with George, but if I really think about one memory that stands out, it was at the Southgate Tower (Manhattan NYC). I was about 17 years old and it was my first day working as an intern that summer. I was stationed at the Southgate Tower and George was the AGM. He invited me to attend the morning stand up meeting with the team. At the Southgate, there was a Bank located on the lower level entrance that was leased out. During stand up, the bank was robbed and the alarms went off. George immediately reacted and grabbed his suit jacket and ran to the lobby and bank. I remember thinking why would he grab his suit jacket to put on before running to the lobby in an emergency situation. Throughout the years working with George, I frequently think of this memory, and realized he grabbed his jacket because that is his level of Professionalism. Professionalism defines George and is a quality he carries that has influenced countless associates and team members throughout the years at Denihan. As an associate that met George 21 years ago, I can personally say he has influenced me and played a very significant role in my career with Denihan and I will truly miss working with him. – Reginia Yorio
George to me was one of the best business partners that you could rely on to stand tall with you. – Eleanor Carter
In September, 1992, I had just graduated college with a degree in Hospitality Management and was heading to East 64th Street for my first real “interview”. I remember how nervous I was as I really didn’t know what to expect. I walked in to the Lyden Gardens Hotel a total wreck and approached the Front Desk requesting to speak to the Director of Front Office who I was scheduled to meet with to discuss a potential GSA position. I took a seat and was then approached by a smiling, friendly young man who introduced himself to me as George Drepaul. Little did I realize at the time how important this person would be to me throughout my career at Denihan. George did eventually hire me for that GSA position even though I am sure he saw how nervous and inexperienced I was in our interview. However, that nervousness faded once I started working at the Gardens as George put me at ease very quickly and he patiently showed me “the ropes”. I was only 21 at the time but recognized at that young age how lucky I was to work with such a generous, caring and professional Manager. George was a coach, mentor and sometimes “big brother” to me during our time working together and I sincerely appreciate all the guidance and support he has provided to me even after our time together at the Gardens. I wish George every success as he embarks on this new chapter in his career and I am forever grateful for the opportunity to work with and learn from such an amazing hospitality professional. – Jennifer Baldwin
Working with George has been one of the most rewarding experiences for me at Denihan. He’s always been razor focused on results and driven by his passion for the hospitality business and the bottom line. The best part: George built collaborative teams which he always kept up-to-date on the latest celebrity news and current events! – Tim Devlin
It’s been a pleasure working with George over the last few years. He is very passionate and a great person to work for. He will be missed! – Anne Maire Lachmeyer
He is a great mentor, always encouraging and challenging me at the same time, since our tenure started back at The Eastgate. I will miss how George would start RevMax with the latest celebrity gossip as an icebreaker. I will cherish all the great memories we have. – Joyce Rosario
The team at The James New York – NoMad is thrilled that Jill Lieblein, Director of Sales & Marketing was selected as a finalist for the Sales Executive of the Year Award for HSMAI’S 24th Annual Frank W. Berkman Tourism Achievement Awards Dinner. Jill has overseen the Carlton Hotel when it first transitioned to Marriott’s Autograph Collection in 2011 and most recently oversaw the Carlton transformation to The James New York – NoMad. With over 29 years of sales and marketing experience we are so very proud to acknowledge her many accomplishments. She has put in countless hours and nights in all the changes that have taken place at the landmark hotel on 29th and Madison and were it not for her dedication and drive, these vast hotel accomplishments would not have been possible. We are proud to be her team members, her counterparts and her cheerleaders each and every day.
- We would like to give a Big Shout out for the Delphi implementation team – Lloyd Tapper, Director of Applications & Client Services, Kathy Magrane, Director of Sales Solutions & Systems, and Jenn Delgado, Area Director of Catering & Conference Services. They have been the driving force behind the installation of the cloud based Delphi system at our hotels. As you may know, Delphi is our sales and catering system that keeps track of how we book, manage and track all our business and manage all our contacts and contracts with clients. This is a tremendous undertaking and has been met with much success due to the planning and execution that the 3 team members have dedicated to this project. Thank you, Lloyd, Kathy and Jenn for giving your best always! We appreciate it and our clients appreciate it as well.
(Pictured Left to Right: Kathy Magrane, Lloyd Tapper and Jennifer Delgado)
- We would also like to recognize Jeff Levy, Area Director of Revenue. Due to changes in the construction schedule, Jeff has been diligently working and reworking The James NoMad revenue budget for ownership. Jeff has revised the budget so many times, that he can do it blind-folded and with two hands tied behind his back! Thank you, Jeff, for your hard work and attention to the numbers and forecast for our newest James NoMad! Keep it up Jeff!
- Let’s give a Shout Out to Kris Trzcinka, Accounts Payable Supervisor, for spearheading the launch of FileBound system. This is our newly automated Accounts Payable system that routes invoices to the appropriate individuals for approval and payment quickly and electronically. It eliminates paper copies of invoices and enables the users to see exactly where an invoice is in the approval process by locating it in the system. He did a great job, it was a lot of work rolling out the complicated work flow process and training associates to use the system. Well done Kris. We look forward to seeing everyone in financial services not have any more paper on their desks!
- And, last but not least, a big shout goes to Tiffany Chin, Digital UX and Project Coordinator and Andrea Urist, Web Operations Manager. Both Tiffany Chin and Andrea Urist have been working diligently on building and upgrading our beautifully designed customer facing websites. Most especially but not limited to, the James website refresh, the new Affinia platform mobile site, and creation of an affinia blog. Thanks to both Tiffany and Andrea, unsung heroes, who have toiled through a lot of tedious but important behind the scene detail to make sure our websites look great!
THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
For our February Shout Out, we would like to recognize the following individuals for their quick response to the flood we had in our corporate offices on February 25. John Allen was the first to respond to a call from Ian, the IT on- call person, that our file server was down in the main office. John arrived Saturday evening to discover that there was a major flood coming from the 11th floor of the building into our offices including the IT server room and the Design and Construction space. He reached out to Muhamad Ahmad who arrived faster than a speeding bullet and activated the crisis protocols. A remediation company was immediately brought in to vacuum up the water from the carpet and wood floors and worked to remove the wet ceiling tiles and parts of the sheetrock. Since the cleanup, Muhamad has been instrumental in meeting with Denihan and the building’s insurance adjusters and received approval from the building to restore the spaces quickly by using our contractors. The Design and Construction area is almost complete and ready to be moved into momentarily.
Thank you Muhamad for your tireless leadership and drive to keep us functioning throughout all this with minimum disruption for all!
(John Allen) (Muhamad Ahmad)
We would like to recognize the Transition Teams working on James Weho and Carlton for all of their efforts over December and January.
In particular, we would like to recognize the IT Team – Andrea, Ian, Pete and Lloyd.
- Andrea Lim worked tirelessly on researching, planning and coordinating the phone and TV projects at The James Nomad. Her attention to details has saved thousands of dollars on those projects.
- Ian Franklyn was at The James West Hollywood for three weeks: coordinating and implementing the corporate network, phone, Wifi & TV systems, and the Vingcard system. Under his guidance, he identified and resolved several potential critical issues. Due to his close attention, the rollout of those systems went smoothly.
- Pete Leftheris worked tirelessly as the overall Project Manager for the IT infrastructure and network for James Weho. He did a great job in working and communicating with CIM, SBE, PlanNet & Suffolk to ensure all requirements are done according to our standards.
- Thanks to Lloyd’s Tapper’s efforts, The James West Hollywood now has all the critical systems working, namely, Finance, PMS, SynXis, Delphi and Kronos.
The IT Transition Team is a glowing example of Denihan’s priorities of “We work together” and “We improve and follow through”. Thank you Andrea, Ian, Pete & Lloyd for all you do for us.
- In addition, we would like to recognize Kathy Magrane, Senior Manager Sales Solutions and Systems and Lloyd Tapper for all their hard work with the set-up, negotiations, and successful training and launch of our new sales tool, Delphi.fdc at the James Weho. Everyone is excited to use it to service our clients!! Thank you Kathy and Lloyd.
(Left to right: Peter Leftheris, Ian Franklyn, Lloyd Tapper, Andrea Lim)
Congratulations to the Denihan 2016 Big Apple Stars Nominees!
Full-Time Door Concierge
Gina Bianco – The Benjamin
Purnima Tiwari – Shelburne NYC
Full-Time Door Person
Canton Hago – The Benjamin
Manuel Pitre – Carlton Hotel
Carlos Santos – Dumont NYC
Samuel Asfaw – Fifty NYC
Salman Khalil – Gardens NYC
Marceau Duplan – Manhattan NYC
Dennis Harrow – Shelburne NYC
Full-Time Hourly w/ Guest Contact
Pronab Dutta – The Benjamin
Hector Rivera – The Carlton Hotel
Kevin Mejia – Dumont NYC
Terrance Carpenter – Fifty NYC
Christopher Freeman – Gardens NYC
Julio Quijada – The James NY **Finalist**
Kodjo Dom Tete Adayi – Manhattan NYC
Richard Jimenez – Shelburne NYC
Full-Time Room Attendant
Paola Sandy – The Benjamin
Genive Bristol – The Carlton Hotel
Marie Pierre – Dumont NYC
Angela Capellan – Fifty NYC
Anna Walendziuk – Gardens NYC
Maria Torres – The James NY
Danuta Partyka – Manhattan NYC
Bibi Rasheed – Shelburne NYC
Full-Time Hourly w/o Guest Contact
Braulio De Jesus – The Benjamin
Ebenzer Owusu – The Carlton Hotel
Thumptan Sherab – Dumont NYC
Igor Vasko – Fifty NYC
Anokye Wilson – Gardens NYC
Edwin Santis – The James NY
Adam Petricki – Manhattan NYC
Avudulla Shehu – Shelburne NYC
Manager Below General Manager
Andria Vlahos – The Benjamin
Mariorara Sfera – The Carlton Hotel
Amy Betances – Dumont NYC **Finalist**
Ruth Pino – Fifty NYC
Hazel Minaya – The James NY
Trang Phan – Manhattan NYC
The guest returns to show Denis, aka Mr. Lexington, the photo which was taken during her first stay at Shelburne NYC in 1996. Having a passion for the hospitality industry, Denis constantly creates sincere, unique, and memorable moments for our guests. Thank you for connecting with our guests to make an unforgettable experience.
The team wished Anne Meade a fond farewell and thank you last evening on the occasion of her retirement. The evening was filled with toasts, funny stories and fond memories. Anne first started with Denihan back in September 1974 at the Manhattan NYC, previously known as The Southgate. Back then roles were not as clearly defined so while her main job was in accounting she also worked in all areas of the hotel from front office to housekeeping. She worked there for 17 years before moving on to corporate. One of the highlights of her career was when she got to see the Pope as he drove by the hotel on his way to say mass at Madison Square Gardens .
Over the years she has mentored and helped grow many people to develop them in their own careers. Thank you Anne for your loyalty, leadership, encouragement and wonderful sense of humor. You will be missed!
The Denihan team welcomed Stephen Blackford, GM of the James Chicago, to our corporate Stand Up meeting yesterday morning. The James Chicago has been having a very busy month and is well ahead of its budget and forecast for September. Mary DiPreta did a great job of sharing the company news and the team also celebrated Scott Hochman’s birthday. Happy Birthday Scott!
*** Photo courtesy of The James Fisheye lens***
We would like to congratulate and thank our winner of the August Shout out – our very own Director of Corporate Facilities, Muhamad Ahmad! Muhamad has a very diverse workload. Besides being responsible for overseeing our office and ensuring that the physical plants at the hotels run smoothly, he also offers his expertise in finding and mentoring our onsite Directors of Engineering. He has gained the trust and respect of our new partners at the Carlton through his dedication and hard work. He also heads up the facilities team that does a great job looking after the office. He ably covered for Henryk and Eileen during vacation season to ensure all associates received continued uninterrupted services. Most recently he was responsible for upselling and closing on a lucrative Verizon lease at the Gardens NYC. Congratulations and thank you Muhamad for all you do for us.
(Muhamad with Declan)
We would also like to recognize several other associates for the month of August….
- Congratulations to two of our very talented and high energy sales people, Gary Stram and Olin Otteson, who were able to obtain a new piece of business – the MTV Awards at Madison Square Gardens. This lead was uncovered by Gary as he was visiting entertainment clients in Mountain Top, PA. Olin then worked through the lengthy negotiations and ultimately closed the business for the Manhattan NYC. This business generated over 2,300 room nights in the month of August worth $500k in room revenue. This base of group business helped to achieve overall RevPAR growth at the Manhattan of 4.9% in the month of August. Thank you Gary and Olin – great team work.
(From left to right: Olin, Gary)
- We would also like to recognize two very talented and very dedicated people in IT who have been with the company for a combinedtenure of 59 years!!! Pete Leftheris and Lloyd Tapper did an outstanding job in the month of August by taking on the monumental task of completing a detailed procurement log for the IT partner and ownership of The James West Hollywood. All equipment and systems were compiled and listed – from Bluetooth headsets to the property management system. All of the information was uploaded to The James West Hollywood SharePoint site for all to reference. This is a textbook example of great team work – taking on a difficult task, completing it on time and sharing the information. Thank you Lloyd and Pete.
(From left to right: Pete, Lloyd)
- We would like to recognize Dominik Gomez our Regional Director of Revenue. In addition to maintaining his Regional role over the Affinia Collection, Benjamin, and Surrey, Dominik took on the added responsibility of Carlton and James New York during some transitions in staff. While overseeing the James New York we have seen an increase in booked revenue over previous weeks on company.com. The strategy that Dominik has instituted at the property and yield audit has allowed company.com to increase in production and outpace OTA since implementation. Thank you Dominik.
- Last but not least we would like to recognize our Corporate Senior Accountant, Amaris Olivo–Brito. In addition to her duties as Corporate Senior Accountant handling the accounting for the Management Company, Amaris has enthusiastically taken on the additional responsibility of accounting for all of our very extensive and expensive capital projects. This is a true testament of commitment to collaborating across functional boundaries. She is doing a great job. Thank you Amaris.
Our June Corporate Shout out goes to …..James Bartiromo, our Senior Sales Manager, who recently booked a $10 million dollar five year contract for the Amtrak crew to stay at the Manhattan NYC hotel. James is the consummate sales person highly respected in the hospitality industry. His ability to bring in this business stems from a long term relationship with Amtrak that he recently renewed last November. Through his tenacity and focus on customer needs he was able to secure this highly desirable piece of business. Congratulations to James!… Way to Go!
We’d also like to recognize the following…..
- Nicole Haber, our Director of Product Development, for her efforts in coordinating the model room notes and responses for the James Chicago and the Carlton. Her eye for detail and knack for combining form with function will go a long way in making our guests happy in these new rooms. In addition, she has assisted with the James West Hollywood team in putting together the FFE and OSE specs to ensure a timely opening as well as managing multiple FFE Capex projects at the rest of our hotels.
- Jamie Barbot, our Conference Services Manager for the NY Region, for her behind the scenes role in coordinating the $3.5 million dollars worth of financial summer training business staying with us this year. She entered the rooming lists for over 600 trainees, set up billing for each hotel, and coordinated with each front desk team to ensure a smooth check in experience and stay for the Bank of America and Goldman Sachs trainees.
- Emily Shattan, our Senior Director of Brand Management, for putting in long hours and weekends in finalizing and successfully launching the James West Hollywood website. We are now accepting reservations as of March 2017!!!
(Pictured left to right: Jamie Barbot, James Bartiromo, Emily Shattan, & Nicole Haber)
We would also like to recognize some teams who have gone above and beyond this past month……….
- To the entire Financial Services team, especially the controllers and senior accountants, for their hard work and teamwork in closing the books and not missing a beat, during a period of being short staffed and ramping up new players.
- To the team of individualswho worked so hard on a proposal to manage another hotel in NYC. During the month of June a very significant opportunity was presented to Denihan as the possible Property Manager for a large independent hotel in NYC. The opportunity is quite large and if we win will be a “game changer” for Denihan. It was a critical team effort to respond!
The window for responding was very tight. We needed lots of data/information, analysis and recommendations completed within just a couple of weeks. While the request for proposal (RFP) comes to us via our Development team, and much of the effort falls on that group, almost every group within our company was involved. Sales, Marketing, F&B, Design & Construction, Operations, IT and Finance all provided input and worked diligently to formulate a top quality response to the proposal. Noteworthy contributors to the effort are Tyler Lavin, Simon Warrington, Declan Fitzpatrick, Steve Rubin, Phil Daily, Matt Norman, Steve Alfieri, Maureen O’Brien, Patrick Chiappetta, Kelli Martin, Stephen Phuvasitkul, and CT Woo. Leading the combined effort were Melissa Cornfeld and Ellen Brown.
In the end, our response was delivered on time, with quality work that looked fantastic! Next step is to present live to the decision makers. This incredible group effort enabled us to get to the next step of this process.
Great job by all!
Thanks to all of you for making our guests our #1 priority and working together to achieve our goals!
Each month, Fifty NYC hosts a celebration highlighting one associate per department who received the highest number of I Care Cards. The top associates have a chance to spin the wheel for an additional prize.
The top associates for the month of April were
Gloria Brown, Guest Service Agent
Roberto Brito, Maintenance
Barbara Skorka , Housekeeping
On Wednesday April 27th, The Benjamin Team celebrated all that Albona does for us!
Your efficient ways. Your hard-working ways. Your dependable ways. Your professional ways. Your organized ways. The just-because-you’re-wonderful-you ways…
These are just some of the reasons why you deserve thanks for all you do throughout the year.
” Nirzon, this man I did not know showed himself to be a true gentleman, a “caballero” (a man of noble character). Nirzon put his hand on my shoulder and without intrusion or trespass to privacy said that he did not know what was wrong but that it would all turn out alright.” -August LaBocco, Guest of Dumont NYC
The Carlton Celebrates Joy Markel, Joseph Ferrara and February Birthdays!A big congratulations to Carlton Team Members Joy Markel and Joseph Ferrara! Joy, Conference Services Manager won our Manager of the Semester and Joseph, Maintenance Person, won for our January Values Champion. Their dedication and commitment to the Denihan Values is well appreciated! The entire Carlton Team celebrated these two outstanding associates along with our February Birthdays!
David Burke’s Primehouse was selected as the #1 pick for Eater.com’s “9 Essential Steakhouses” story. Our mention names our steaks as “arguably the best in town”, highlighting the 28 and 75 day dry-aged ribeyes, as well as the cake in the can dessert, and our dry-aging room. We’re in good company with Bavette’s, Chicago Cut and Gibson’s also being named to the list. See clipping and link to story below.
Our own wonderful Director of Sales, Andrea Lopiccolo won the HSMAI of Greater New York Chapter honor of Area Director of Sales for New York!
Andrea has served as Director of Sales for the Affinia Manhattan and was an integral part of its renovation and repositioning. Currently, as Area Director of Sales, Andrea oversees the James New York and the Benjamin Hotel. A dedicated mentor of young talent, Andrea has generously shared her breadth of knowledge and experience with new hospitality professionals, routinely working with them to develop their skills to benefit their professional and personal growth.
We couldn’t be prouder- Congratulations Andrea. Very well deserved!
Congratulations to The James Chicago!
FIVE TIME WINNER OF THE CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE
The James Chicago has been welcomed into the Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame.
This unique accolade is granted only to those businesses that have won the Certificate of Excellence for five years in a row.
As you know, the Certificate of Excellence can be earned only by receiving consistently great reviews on the world’s largest travel site.
Congratulations to all on a job well done!
Last night Julianne Lewis, Oscar Gomez, Jenna Nordstrom, and Evita Chidiac from the Manhattan NYC team, along with Krystle Spruill from Denihan Corporate attended the benefit at the upscale bowling alley in Midtown, Frames. HEAF- Harlem Educational Activities Fund, was developed to provide Harlem educators with private resources to enhance student outcomes and school effectiveness. HEAF provides an extended continuum of educational and youth development and leadership opportunities to high-potential, underserved students throughout the city.
The benefit brought in a total of $14,795– great job team!
Chef Andres was featured on “A New Day” by Telemundo. This is a variety show that features entertainment, humor and fun, promising to brighten mornings for Hispanic viewers in the United States and 26 countries in Latin America. Thanks for the recipe Chef Andres!
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
1 2 Next